[Samba] Problem with Samba 2.2.8a-107 on SuSE 9.0 and 8.3 filenames

Marc mm00 at gmx.de
Mon Apr 12 13:32:43 GMT 2004

Hi...

I noticed a bug with samba 2.2.8a on my SuSE 9.0 box. I use the
UltraEdit text editor to edit my php files in a samba share. By default
this text editor places .bak files next to the changed file.

What I now noticed was this problem:
I edit a file 1234567.php and it generates a file 1234567.php.bak. I can
open and edit the 1234567.php normally.
I edit a file 123456789.php with the same result as the 1234567.php.

But: Once I edit a file 12345678.php and the 12345678.php.bak file is
generated, the text editor no longer can access the 12345678.php. If I
try to open the 12345678.php any application (i.e. even notepad.exe)
only opens the 12345678.php.bak file. I tried this with several file
names. It only happens with filenames that have exactly 8.3 characters.

This seems to me like a genuine bug in handling those files. I attached
my smb.conf in case it only is a configuration error, but this behaviour
seems rather strage just to be a configuration error, since it only
happens with files that have the mentioned specific filename format.

So long,
	     Marc...

--

Quoting, forwarding or paraphasing any of the above contents to third
parties is prohibited without the express written permission of the