[Samba] File Locking problem

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Sat Apr 10 17:09:38 GMT 2004

On Thu, Apr 08, 2004 at 01:56:31AM +0800, Wan Yeok Seng wrote:

> But if I use openoffice (in a fedora core workstation) to access the
> file in the share first, when I type smbstatus, I am getting a deny none
> (readwrite) which is not the intended way. If I open the file from other
> workstation (nor matter it is windows or linux), I can write into the
> file. This post a question on data corruption since multiple access on
> the share file that can allow write.
>
> I have done some research on the mailing list which the same question
> has been posted by Demchenko Yevheniy on Sep 1. But no solution has been
> offered. I have the same question with Demchenko Yevheniy as well, who
> is controlling the deny mode (deny write), samba or the application (in
> this case OpenOffice)?

OpenOffice on Linux (POSIX) has no concept of DENY modes,
they simply don't exist on POSIX. OpenOffice would have to
use byte range locks to get the same effect. I'm not sure
if the Linux OpenOffice code does this. It is not a Samba
bug, but an application level one. I suggest you log this
on the OpenOffice bugzilla.

Jeremy.