[Samba] Samba and LDAP backend - howto docs problems?

Wim Bakker wim at unetix.nl
Thu Apr 8 15:59:17 GMT 2004

On Wednesday 10 March 2004 16:19, John H Terpstra wrote:

> The use of these tools is documented in the book version of the
> Samba-HOWTO-Collection, "The Official Samba-3 HOWTO and Reference Guide"
> available from Amazon.Com. There are 5 chapters that are not in the HOWTO
> document - these will be released on April 5th with consent from
> Prentice-Hall (the book publisher).
Hello,
I tried the example , chapter 2 from "The Official Samba-3 HOWTO and Reference
Guide" , Big Organization , followed exactly the procedure as described in
this book and get the following error:
failed to bind to server with dn= cn=Manager Error: Invalid credentials

Connection to LDAP Server failed for the 1 try!
smbldap_search_suffix: Problem during the LDAP search: (unknown) (Invalid
credentials)
Connection to LDAP Server failed for the 1 try!
smbldap_search_suffix: Problem during the LDAP search: (unknown) (Invalid
credentials)
Connection to LDAP Server failed for the 1 try!
ldapsam_search_one_group: Problem during the LDAP search: LDAP error:
(unknown) (Invalid credentials)
Connection to LDAP Server failed for the 1 try!
smbldap_search_suffix: Problem during the LDAP search: (unknown) (Invalid
credentials)
Failed to add entry for user gerrit.
Failed to modify password entry for user gerrit
when trying to add the first user (gerrit).
What is making up invalid credentials?
I used openldap-2.1.19 , compiled with no options,
installed it , edited the /etc/openldap/slapd.conf as
described in the reference guide , edited smb.conf
as described in the reference guide, (only changed
the dc's to the domain the machine is in), added the
initial ldif as described in the book, but , no cigar.
system is slackware 9.1, db-4.2.52, samba-3.0.2a.

TIA
Wim Bakker