[Samba] Deleting of Desktop Icons

Matthias Spork hallo at matthiasspork.de
Thu Apr 8 09:31:16 GMT 2004

Andrei Mikhailovsky schrieb:

> | I delete some Icons/Documents on my Desktop. After a new login, they
> | will be on my Desktop again.
> |
> | Is this a Windows- or a Samba-Problem?
> |
> | Environment: Samba 3.02a, Win NT (SP6), 2K (Varius Service Packs)
>
> I have the same issue as well, on XP and 2k.
>
> sometimes it actually deletes icons and folders, but most often they are
> recreated after a login.  It might be an issue with roaming profiles
> from the samba side, I never managed to find an answer.

I've read following:

Whenn the client logoff, it copies all of his profile-data to the server
as prf*.tmp -files. After succesfull copy of one file, it will be
renamed to a properly filename. The old original file on the server will
by overwrite.

But what happen, when there is still a file on the server, which is just
deleted on the client? That's the problem.

Is this property also verified under Windows-Server?

matze