[Samba] 3.0.2a Windows XP can't find homes

Stewart, Eric eric at lib.usf.edu
Wed Apr 7 13:07:30 GMT 2004

	Clients are Windows 2000; server is running Samba version
3.0.2a.  We've been a W2K shop for some time but have started to get in
a few Windows XP systems (principally laptops).  The issue we're
experiencing with the Win XP machines is that they can't map the homes
share, either through a VPN or when connected directly to the network
the samba server is on.  All other shares remain accessable, including,
apparently, the "profile" share which is inside the home directory.

	Yes, this is a second post regarding the "homes" share -
however, the first post deals specifically with W2K machines that are
accessing the homes share, but the homes share disappears somewhere
along the line.  This email/thread deals specifically with Windows XP
*never* finding the homes share.
	If the issues are related, great; if not, I didn't want to post
two different problems in one message.

	I have gone through much documentation (though it wouldn't
surprise me if I missed something) and groups.google.com searches didn't
result in a solution (and only a couple of close "I'm having this
problem" matches).

[global]
   guest account = nobody
   workgroup = <a domain>
   security = domain
   encrypt passwords = yes
   password server = *
   browseable = no
   local master = no
   os level = 1
   wins server = <my wins>
   preserve case = yes
   invalid users = root mail daemon
   log file = /usr/local/samba/var/log.%m
   lock directory = /usr/local/samba/var/locks
   share modes = yes
   allow trusted domains = no

[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = yes
   guest ok = no
   read only = no
   force directory mode = 0700
   force create mode = 0600
   locking = no
   nt acl support = no

[profile]
   comment = Profile directory - special share
   invalid users = nobody refdesk
   browseable = yes
   guest ok = no
   read only = no
   force directory mode = 0700
   force create mode = 0600
   locking = no
   profile acls = yes
   path = %H/profile

  [dos]
   comment = /samba/dos on Dudley
   browseable = yes
   path = /samba/dos
   read only = yes
   create mode = 0755
   locking = no

  [staff]
   comment = Share directory for staff (T:\)
   browseable = yes
   path = /home/dudley/staff/share
   read only = no
   valid users = @staff
   force group = staff
   force create mode = 0660
   force directory mode = 0770

Eric Stewart - Network Admin, USF Tampa Library - eric at lib.usf.edu
Managing sysadmins is like leading a neighborhood gang of neurotic pumas
       on jet-powered hoverbikes with nasty smack habits and opposable
       thumbs. - Feen, Benjy: Pumas on Hoverbikes: Sysadmin Management,
       http://www.monkeybagel.com/pumas.html