[Samba] smbclient - NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE

John Sheridan excalibr at wowmail.com
Wed Apr 7 05:21:39 GMT 2004

Hi all,

I have a problem with using smbclient, my current setup as follows:

- Linux   login/password: excalibur & xxx
  Windows login/password: MYDOMAIN\darrenk & yyy

- Linux smb service - did not change anything in smb.conf except to make it use plain passwords:

  ;  encrypt passwords = yes
  ;  smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd

- Windows 2000 - apply plain password registry fix

I can successfully access Linux folders from Windows 2000:

- Start - Run - \\222.76.129.238
- Type in Linux login name/password at Windows prompt: excalibur/xxx
- Successfully get access to Linux folder

If I wanted to do the reverse, ie. access Windows share (c:\test) via Linux, I thought this would do it:

smbclient //excalibur2/test -U \\MYDOMAIN\darrenk

I entered yyy when prompted for password, but this is what I get:

[root at localhost root]# smbclient //excalibur2/test -U \\MYDOMAIN\darrenk
added interface ip=222.76.129.238 bcast=222.76.129.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
Got a positive name query response from 222.76.129.234 ( 222.76.129.234 )
Password:
session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE

Is the syntax correct or is there more to the big picture? What else am I doing wrong?

Thanks very much, Excalibur