[Samba] SAMBA server problem

Aria Bamdad ARIA at biostat.bsc.gwu.edu
Tue Apr 6 21:09:31 GMT 2004

Hi,

I am experiencing an odd problem testing a SAMBA server on Linux/390.
I have tested the same configuration on an Intel box without having this
problem.  The problem is particularly with windows 9x clients accessing
the server.  When a windows 9x client connects to a share and does a
right-click on a file to show file properties, there is a long delay
(depending on the file size) before the file properties are shown.
The larger the file (like 100 megs.), the longer the delay.

After looking at the problem more closely, it appears that when the windows
9x client checks file properties, there is a large amount of data transmitted
to the client (similar to the size of the file in bytes).  It seems like the
file is being transmitted to the client before the peoperties page is
displayed.

Windows 2K clients do not show this slow behaviour but still, more data
is beging sent to the client than expected.  This data transfer increases
based on the file size also.

Overall performance of the server is so-so but not bad.

I have tried SAMBA versions 2.2.3 and 3.0.2 with the same results.  I am
running Debian version 3 kernel 2.4.17.  I get the same results with Redhat
and SAMBA version 2.8.

Thanks in advance.
Aria