[Samba] Two major issues with Mac OS X clients

ww m-pubsyssamba pubsyssamba at bbc.co.uk
Tue Apr 6 11:05:10 GMT 2004

Hi Andrew,

	firstly, I also have seen the issue with sharing Excel files but this is not a
Samba problem as you will see the same behaviour on an MS Windows server. You need to
pose the question to Apple and Microsoft on this one.
On the slow connection apart from stating the obvious which is that is looks like it's
timing out trying to authenticate via Kerberos all I can say is we have tested this
with Samba AD member servers using Kerberos and NTLM authentication and haven't
experienced these timeouts. Have you tried installing Mac OS X 10.3.3? this has some
fixes to the SMB client,

		cheers Andy.

Hello,

    I am having to major issues with Mac clients on our samba server. One
has to do with how the Mac vs. the PC locks files and the other has to do
with a very slow connection to one of our larger shares.

1.) File locking issue:

I am having a strange problem occur with shared excel and word files being
opened by multiple users. The problem appears to be a result of a Mac
opening the file first. So I assume the Mac is locking the file differently.
Here is an example:

If user A who uses a Mac (OSX Panther) opens up the excel file on the samba
server everyone else gets an error message when trying to open it and cannot
open the file.

If user B running windows XP opens up the excel file other people can open
the file at the same time

Here is what the locks look like in smbstatus (Notice the different access
modes):

Mac:
8336   DENY_NONE  0x3         RDWR       NONE
/mnt/share/Applied_Minds/Files/Ext List by 1st Name.xls   Wed Mar 24
16:09:02 2004

PC:
8798   DENY_NONE  0x2019f     RDWR       NONE
/mnt/share/Applied_Minds/Files/Ext List by 1st Name.xls   Wed Mar 24
16:08:21 2004

2.) Slow connection issue

When a Mac connects to one of our shares on our fileserver the connection
can take up to a minute. So far the only reference to the slow connection
that I can see is the following error:

Mac log file:
mount_smbfs: No credentials cache found krb5_cc_get_principal

If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated... Here is the my conf
file and version:

Samba 3.0.2-6.3E Redhat ES

[global]
log level = 1
log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
realm = domain.net
workgroup = DOMAIN
security = ADS
encrypt passwords = yes
password server = dc0.domain.net dc1.domain.net
server string = AMI File Server
socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_KEEPALIVE
kernel oplocks = yes
oplocks = yes
veto oplock files =
/*.doc/*.DOC/*.xls/*.XLS/*.ppt/*.PPT/*.pst/*.PST/*.mdb/*.MDB/*.ldb/*.LDB/*.v
sd/*.VSD/*.mpp/*.MPP/*.qbw/*.QBW/*.qbb/*.QBB/*.qbI/*.qbl/*.dxf/*.DXF/*.dwg/*
.DWG/*.cdr/*.CDR/*.bak/*.BAK/*.ord/*.xlo/*.igs/*.ipt/*.ipj/*.slp/*.stp/*.opt
/*.xli/*.stl/*.cur/*.sjb/*.log/*.LOG/*.sbs/*.iam/*.idv/
interfaces = eth0*,lo
bind interfaces only = yes
# strict locking
# strict sync
# separate domain and username with +, like DOMAIN+username
winbind separator = +
# use uids from 11000 to 19000 for domain users
idmap uid = 11000-19000
# use gids from 11000 to 19000 for domain groups
idmap gid = 11000-19000
# allow enumeration of winbind users and groups
winbind enum users = yes
winbind enum groups = yes
# give winbind users a real shell (only needed if they have telnet access)
template shell = /bin/bash

[Share]
   comment = Share
   path = /mnt/share/share