[Samba] Samba (2.2.8a or 3.0.2a) + WinXP not updating roaming profiles on logout

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at uclink4.berkeley.edu
Tue Apr 6 06:32:18 GMT 2004

I have a linux box running samba configured as my PDC with roaming
profiles.  Everything was running great until I upgraded to WinXP
instead of Win2K.  Now, when I log out of my XP session, my profile
doesn't get uploaded to the server.  The local copy remains in effect
until I reboot.  When I log out, the following message gets sent to the
event logger:

[quote]
Windows has detected that Offline Caching is enabled on the Roaming
Profile share - to avoid potential profile corruption, Offline Caching
must be disabled on shares where roaming user profiles are stored.

[/quote]

I searched around and found an email which suggested adding the
following to my profiles share to fix this warning message (not sure if
it's supposed to fix my problem, but I figured it was worth a shot):

   csc policy = disabled
   share modes = no

The warning still occurs (yes, I restarted samba and I restarted
windows).

Here's my smb.conf file with comments stripped

[global]
   workgroup = HOME
  netbios name = ERADICATOR
   server string = Samba Server %v
   printcap name = lpstat
   load printers = yes
   printing = cups
   printer admin = @adm
   log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
   max log size = 50
  guest account = guest
   security = user
  encrypt passwords = yes
  smb passwd file = /etc/samba/private/smbpasswd
  username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
   interfaces = eth1
   local master = yes
   os level = 65
   domain master = yes
   preferred master = yes
   domain logons = yes
   logon path = \\%L\%U\profile
   logon home = \\%L\%U
   logon drive = I:
add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g machines -c 'Machine
Account' -s /bin/false -M %u
domain admin group = root @wheel
domain guest group = nobody guest @nobody @nogroup @guest
   wins support = yes
   dns proxy = no
[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = no
   writable = yes
   profile acls = yes
   csc policy = disabled
   share modes = no
[netlogon]
   comment = Network Logon Service
   path = /var/lib/samba/netlogon
   guest ok = yes
   writable = no
[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   path = /var/spool/samba
   browseable = no
   guest ok = yes
   writable = no
   printable = yes
   create mode = 0700
   print command = lpr -P %p %s # using cups own drivers (use generic
PostScript on clients).
   lpq command = lpq -P %p
   lprm command = cancel %p-%j
[download]
   comment = Downloads
   path = /usr/local/download
   public = yes
   writable = no
   write list = @adm

   create mode = 0664
   directory mode = 2775
   force create mode = 0660
   force directory mode = 2770
[music]
   comment = Music
   path = /home/jeremy/Music
   public = yes
   writable = no
   write list = @adm

   create mode = 0664
   directory mode = 2775
   force create mode = 0660
   force directory mode = 2770
[movies]
   comment = Movies
   path = /home/jeremy/Movies
   public = yes
   writable = no
   write list = @adm

   create mode = 0664
   directory mode = 2775
   force create mode = 0660
   force directory mode = 2770
[root]
        comment = Root Directory
        path = /
        read only = No
[raid0]
        comment = RAID 0
        path = /mnt/raid0
        read only = No

---

As another note, I get the following message in log.<machine name> since
going to samba3...

[2004/04/05 23:16:16, 0]
rpc_server/srv_util.c:get_domain_user_groups(372)
  get_domain_user_groups: primary gid of user [jeremy] is not a Domain
group !
  get_domain_user_groups: You should fix it, NT doesn't like that
[2004/04/05 23:16:20, 1] smbd/service.c:make_connection_snum(705)
  aerith (192.168.0.3) connect to service jeremy initially as user
jeremy (uid=1000, gid=4) (pid 22991)

---

Thanks in advance for any help you have to offer.  It is very much
appreciated.