[Samba] Force Create Mode & Unix Group Permissions

Calvin Gordon calvin.gordon at nufab.com
Mon Apr 5 05:24:02 GMT 2004

[root at fedora1 common]# rpm -q samba
samba-3.0.2-7.FC1

I have a share called common

[common]
   comment = CrownAg Regina
   browseable = yes
   path = /home/common/
   valid users = +crownag-users
   writeable = yes
   force create mode = 0660
   force directory mode = 0770

common has several departmental subdirs
unix permissions on the subdirs are as follows:

drwxrwsr-x   7 cngordon crownag-users 4.0K Mar 27 10:23 bin_tracker_backups
drwxrws---   5 root     board         4.0K Mar 26 17:14 board
drwxrws---   7 root     design        4.0K Mar 27 16:00 design
drwxrws---  16 root     crownag-users 4.0K Apr  4 13:42 general
drwxrws---   3 root     mgmt          4.0K Apr  4 13:39 management
drwxrws---  13 root     marketing     4.0K Mar 30 08:25 marketing
drwxr-x---  16 root     crownag-users 4.0K Mar 31 10:58 users

Using windows on a remote machine, If I make a new sub-dir under any of the
department subdirs on the Fedora Samba Server, or copy a file from another
machine to this share it is created with the correct permissions and group
ownership.
If I move a directory and files from one dept sub-dir on the common share to
another dept sub-dir it ignores my unix group sticky and retains the original
group ownership.

This is behaving differently than other samba servers I have previously set
up.  How do I force the moved files and sub-dirs to adopt the group ownership
of the directory they are being mo0ved into?

testparm produces the following:

[root at fedora1 common]# testparm
Processing section "[homes]"
Processing section "[common]"
Processing section "[Fedora1-Backups]"
Processing section "[printers]"
Loaded services file OK.
WARNING: You have some share names that are longer than 12 characters.
These may not be accessible to some older clients.
(Eg. Windows9x, WindowsMe, and smbclient prior to Samba 3.0.)
Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE
# Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = CROWNAG
        server string = Fedora1-Server
        obey pam restrictions = Yes
        pam password change = Yes
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
        passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n
        unix password sync = Yes
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
        max log size = 0
        dns proxy = No