[Samba] enabling ACL support on Red Hat 8

Clint Sharp clint at typhoon.org
Sat Apr 3 22:11:08 GMT 2004

On Sat, 2004-04-03 at 14:02, Philippe wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to enable ACL support (ext3, XFS...) on a Red Hat 8. I want to
> uses this feature with Samba.
>
> Thanks
>
> Phil

This will require a custom built kernel.  I recommend you either install
the kernel SRPM from the Redhat CD or you go obtain the latest one from
a RedHat Mirror.  In the SPEC file you'll find the ACL patches commented
out.  Uncomment them, and then and use rpmbuild to rebuild your kernel.

Keep in mind, to enable acl support on your file systems you'll need to
add the acl option to the filesystem in /etc/fstab, and you'll also need
some dependent packages and so you can manage the ACLs on your
filesystem.  These are available from http://acl.bestbits.at/.  Older
versions may possibly be installed already on your RedHat 8 CD and are
available on the CDs (package names are something like libxattr, libacl,
star, acl and an updated fileutils package which adds support for acls).

I believe Samba 3 comes with ACL support turned off by default as well
(I'm not sure, I've always built from Source RPM, which didn't have
--with-acl-support in the configure line).  In which case, you'll need
to get the Samba 3 SRPM and add --with-acl-support to the configure line
and use rpmbuild to build a custom samba3 RPM.

Hope this helps!

Clint