[Samba] Error returning browse list: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

David Rankin drankin at cox-internet.com
Sat Apr 3 16:35:10 GMT 2004

Andrew, Jerry and the rest of the team:

    Hello again! It has been quite some time since I was here and waded the
waters to set up bind8 and samba 2.07 on my trust mdk 7.2 box. (by the way,
it is still working like a champ) over 400 days uptime before the last
extended power outage. Well, obviously a lot has changed since the 2.07 days
and I am now working on a SuSE 8.2 box with samba 2.2.7a with XP pro
clients. So far, all has gone well, but one lingering problem remains (as
the title suggests). I'm sure this has been asked and answered numerous
times in my absence, but googling has been fruitless.

    So, sell me another t-shirt and mug, and let's see if we can get to the
bottom of this. How is that old Aussie Bartlett anyway??

    The problem: The Win XP boxes will not return a browse list resulting in
the "Error returning browse list: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED." The Suse box has
no problems. The output for smbclient is shown below and illustrates the
problem. Bind 9 is working like a champ with dhcpd and ddns all playing
nicely together. I have appended the smb.conf at the end for your reference.
(still a work in progress)  I can browse from XP to samba just fine. I just
can't get samba to use, or see for that matter, the shared resources on the
XP box. So what do I need to do? Upgrade samba? Dork with the XP registry?
As always, your help and advise is greatly appreciated.

skyline:/home/david # smbclient -U% -L localhost
added interface ip=192.168.7.14 bcast=192.168.7.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
Domain=[RB_LAW] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 2.2.7a-SuSE]

        Sharename      Type      Comment
        ---------      ----      -------
        Skyline        Disk      Skyline Shares
        config         Disk      Admin Config Share
        IPC$           IPC       IPC Service (RB_LAW Skyline Server
2.2.7a-SuSE)
        ADMIN$         Disk      IPC Service (RB_LAW Skyline Server
2.2.7a-SuSE)

        Server               Comment
        ---------            -------
        RIPPER               XP2800
        SKYLINE              RB_LAW Skyline Server 2.2.7a-SuSE

        Workgroup            Master
        ---------            -------
        RB_LAW               SKYLINE

skyline:/home/david # smbclient -U% -L ripper
added interface ip=192.168.7.14 bcast=192.168.7.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
Domain=[RB_LAW] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]

        Sharename      Type      Comment
        ---------      ----      -------
Error returning browse list: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

        Server               Comment
        ---------            -------

        Workgroup            Master
        ---------            -------

skyline:/home/david/Documents/linux_config/etc # cat /etc/samba/smb.conf
# Global parameters
[global]
        netbios name = skyline
        workgroup = RB_LAW
        server string = RB_LAW Skyline Server %v
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        update encrypted = Yes
        smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
        passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *new*password* %n\n *success*
        passwd chat debug = Yes
        unix password sync = Yes
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 50
        name resolve order = wins hosts lmhosts bcast
        printcap name = lpstat
        logon script = %U.bat
        domain logons = Yes
        time server = yes
        os level = 99
        preferred master = Yes
        domain master = Yes
        dns proxy = No
        wins support = Yes
        hosts allow = 192.168.7. localhost 66.76.63.60
        min print space = 2000
        printing = cups
        print command = /usr/bin/lp -d%p -oraw %s; rm %s
        lpq command = /usr/bin/lpstat -o%p
        lprm command = /usr/bin/cancel %p-%j
        queuepause command = /usr/bin/disable %p
        queueresume command = /usr/bin/enable %p

[Skyline]
        comment = Skyline Shares
        path = /home/samba/skyline
        valid users = @skyline