[Samba] USRMGR.EXE, passwd sync and failed user addition

Joseph Doran joed at pc-ltd.co.uk
Sat Apr 3 03:43:19 GMT 2004

Hi,

Sorry if I am stating the obvious, but I could not find any info anywhere
about this issue.

Just a quick email to alert people to the fact that some posts that I have
been scouring over suggest that certain individuals are unable to add
users through usrmgr.exe. I have spent the last 4~5 hours hunting down
this very problem looking at permissions, groups and so on. So I thought I
would pass the info on.

It would appear the problem can arise due to the passwd chat (when called
as root). I am running Redhat 9.0 and the usual passwd chat is slightly
different to version 7.1 from which I took the smb.conf over from. Keyword
(UNIX) seems to have been dropped.

I did read somewhere that some versions of unix/linux display ReType
instead of Retype, although I cant confirm this.

7.0 expects
*Changing*password*for*user*%u.\n*New*UNIX*password* %n\n
*Retype*new*UNIX*password* %n\n

7.1 expects
*Changing*password*for*user*%u.\n*New*UNIX*password* %n\n
*Retype*new*UNIX*password* %n\n

whereas

7.2 expects
*Changing*password*for*user*%u.\n*New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password*
%n\n *passwd:*all*authentication*tokens*updated*successfully*

and

9.x expects
*Changing*password*for*user*%u.\n*New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password*
%n\n *passwd:*all*authentication*tokens*updated*successfully*

Dont have access to a version 8.0 box.

Hopefully this will save someone trawling though, passwd chat debug = yes,
and 101 level debugs :-).

To:- samba-technical list.
Would it not be possible to say add a dummy user account, change the
passwd and capture the stdout, and delete dummy account, to populate the
chat script automatically?

Best Regards
Joe.

PS: I am not on list, so reply directly if you wish to make contact.