[Samba] RPC-Server is not reachable & special shell for winxp

Joern Frenzel frenzel at wave-computer.de
Fri Apr 2 15:07:15 GMT 2004

hi,

some problems with our samba 3.

1. if we try to bring a XP-machine into the domain, we get the windows error
"RPC-Server is not rechable". the machine-account is set up propper, but it
does not work. but with w2k it works - why ?

2. we want to set a special shell for the win-xp clients via *.pol files. we
made an own adm--file like this:

CLASS USER
CATEGORY "Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion"
  POLICY Winlogon
  KEYNAME "Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon"
    PART Shell EDITTEXT
    VALUENAME "Shell"
    END PART
  END POLICY
END CATEGORY

and it sets the following key.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
"Shell"="newshell.exe"

if we set the key manualy it works fine, but the NTconfig.pol is not accepted.
why ?

thanks for any help