[Samba] One samba, two interfaces

Malcolm Baldridge google at paypc.com
Thu Apr 1 20:13:01 GMT 2004

> Is it possible to have a samba listen on different interfaces for
> different NETBIOS names specific to that interface?
>
> I have a samba listening to eth0 and eth1, which are two interfaces on
> the same network.  Even when I use smbclient to the ip address of eth1,
> smb.conf's %h gives me the eth0 hostname, so it doesn't seem I can do
> any include trickery to make this work.  Is it even possible?

I'd look at the code to see if the expansion for %h takes into account the
destination IP# address connected to.

If you can't patch it to do what you want, you might need to run two sambas,
each with its own smb.conf file bound to a single interface.  If you're
using an OS with "real" oplock support and reasonable locking, then things
should be fine, since cross-smbd locking will just work.

=R=