[Samba] Samba 3 and clients "loosing" home folders

Collins, Kevin KCollins at nesbittengineering.com
Thu Apr 1 12:55:58 GMT 2004

I have a Samba 3.0.2 LDAP-based domain that controls my company's three
offices.  Outside of some minor hiccups (which we are working through -
thanks, John Terpstra) I'm only having one "real" difficulty.  At random
times, a group of my users are "loosing" connection to their home folders.

A bit about my setup:
Platform:  Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3.0 "ES"
Samba version: 3.0.2-6.3E (latest "up2date" version)
Windows version:  Primarily Windows 2000 Professional, although I do have a
handful of Windows 98 and Windows XP Professional machines around.

In the LDAP entry for each user I have the following lines which map Windows
drive letter "H" to point to their home directory on the Linux/Samba server:

sambaHomeDrive: H:
sambaHomePath: \\<samba-server>\homes\<username>

This has been working for the most part, but like I said at random times
(even while the users are actively using files in their directory) the
mapping will just disappear.

As you can imagine, this causes all kinds of trouble.  It seems only to have
affected about 5 people (thus far).  For example I have never seen this on
my desktop (I'm running Windows XP).

So my question to the group is:  Has anyone here experienced this kind of
behavior?  If so, what must be done to fix it?

Thanks in advance.
--
Kevin L. Collins, MCSE
Systems Manager