[Samba] Modifying password expiry dates

Damian Gerow damian at sentex.net
Tue Sep 30 14:58:25 GMT 2003

I've just found out that Samba (rather correctly) implements a nice and low
password expiry date through the tdbsam backend, and I believe the "maximum
password age" value.

However, I can't, for the life of me, actually /set/ this thing.  I've tried
this:

    # pdbedit -u <username> -r -P "maximum password age" -C 100

And without the -r, and with various other flags.  But every time, it spits
back this error to me:

    Incompatible or insufficient options on command line!

I've searched Google, and there's very little, and there's not much in the
man page by way of modifying the password age.  Can anyone point me as to
how to actually do this?

We're running Samba 3.0b3, if that makes a difference.