[Samba] Problem writing to XP share

Skip Evans skip at ncseweb.org
Tue Sep 30 22:38:03 GMT 2003

Hello all,

I've just recently gotten a Linux 9 install up in
my quest to do away with MS Windows on my desktop,
but am having trouble writing to an XP shared
drive where we store most of our office files.

I can read files from it fine, but any attempt to
write gives me errors, typically directory is read
only. However, any other machine can write to it
and I can see on the XP machine itself it does
appear set up to allow others on the network to
write to the disk.

I am also currently running MS Office through
Crossover and those apps seem to be able to write
to it fine.

I have a user set up on the XP machine with the
same user name and password as my Linux
workstation login, and the mount command in the
fstab file is:
//server/c /mnt/XPserver  smbfs
username=*****,password=*****

With the same username and password of course.

I belive my settings in the smb.conf are okay, but
who can be certain? I have a FreeBSD machine here
that acts as a web server, email server, etc, and
I can write to the disk from there. So I copied
the basic settings from its smb.conf file to the
Linux one. No luck.

Anyone got any ideas? I'm pretty stumped at this
point.
--
Skip Evans
Network Project Director
evans at ncseweb.org
http://www.ncseweb.org

NCSE now has a one way broadcast news list.
Please note that this is NOT a discussion
list. You cannot post messages for members
to receive. We use this list to broadcast
news about the creationism/evolution issue
to interested parties.

To sign up send:
subscribe ncse your at email.address.here
to: majordomo at ncseweb2.org