[Samba] 3.0.0 rc4 /LDAP problem

Gémes Géza geza at kzsdabas.sulinet.hu
Tue Sep 30 17:25:00 GMT 2003

Mark írta:

|Hi all-
|

|I've configured samba (3.0.0 rc4) with ldap (openldap 2.0.27-8) (and
|when testing using 'net groupmap list' I'm getting the following errors:
|

|Failed to bind to server with dn= cn=Manager,dc=my-domain,dc=org Error
|Can't contact LDAP server (unknown)
|
|Lib/smbldap.c:smbldap_search(924) smbldap_search: LDAP server is down!
|
|Passdb/pdb_ldap.c: ldapsam_setsamgrent(2048) ldapsam_setsamgrent: LDAP
|search failed: Can't contact LDAP server
|

|Etc., etc.
|

|Slapd is running, and I'm able to add entries to the ldap server using
|both ldapadd and smbldap-useradd.pl, I can also connect via phpLDAPAdmin
|all with the same credentials.  I've tried uninstalling samba and
|openldap and starting from scratch, but it doesn't seem to help.
|

|I've done most of the configuration (aside from a bit of tweaking for
|samba3) using the Samba-LDAP-PDC howto from Idealx.  I don't seem to be
|getting any errors anywhere but when I try to do anything through samba.
|I've added the ldap admin dn password (smbpasswd -w) and now I'm stuck.
|

|Any help would be greatly appreciated, if I haven't provided enough
|information, please let me know.
|

|Thanks,
|
|mark

If you read the IDEALX docs I've did, then it was for version 2.2.4, it
is perfectly valid for any 2.2.x, but quite inadequate for 3.0, with
lots of new configuration options. I would suggest to read the smb.conf
manpage, and search for ldap. Another good source of information is the
Samba HOWTO Collection, wich is included in your samba3 package. I
personaly would also suggest to read
http://www.unav.es/cti/ldap-smb/smb-ldap-3-howto.html

Good Luck!

Geza Gemes