[Samba] Samba 3.0.0, Windows 2003, join succeeding but not working

Raj Mathur raju at linux-delhi.org
Tue Sep 30 08:23:30 GMT 2003

Facing a strange problem with Samba 3.0.0 in a Windows 2003 domain.
The net ads join works just fine, but a testjoin shows that the domain
hasn't been joined and winbind user/group enumeration services, etc
don't work after that.  Kerberos is working fine too independently.
Time has been sync'ed.

Tried with both server signing auto and server signing off.

The error message is:

  kerberos_kinit_password ETAFPS$@EICHERGROUP.COM failed: Preauthentication fail
ed
  kerberos_kinit_password ETAFPS$@EICHERGROUP.COM failed: Preauthentication fail
ed
Join to domain is not valid

The setup is as follows:

Samba server (client for Windows 2003): etafps, 10.110.1.7
Windows 2003 PDC (remote):              dcdelads01, 10.101.1.51
Windows 2003 BDC (LAN):                 etaalwads01, 10.110.1.1

I've uploaded the following files and logs to my web site since
they're rather large:

http://kandalaya.org/samba/smb.conf     /etc/samba/smb.conf
http://kandalaya.org/samba/krb5.conf    /etc/krb5.conf
http://kandalaya.org/samba/hosts        /etc/hosts