[Samba] configure print job priority for individual user

danielkwong at hsbc.com.hk danielkwong at hsbc.com.hk
Tue Sep 30 06:10:06 GMT 2003

We have lately configured a Linux box as a file and print server using
Samba (RC2)+XFS+Winbind. It is up and running. We are able to publish the
Samba shares and printers in AD. We, however, got stuck when we tried to
configure the priority level a user can assign to a job submitted to the
print service. Wonder if we can do it in Samba, so that a group of AD
users have higher priority level than other AD users when sending jobs to
the print service. We are at the moment using LPRng as the print system in
our Linux box.

I understand that under Unix, e.g., UnixWare 7, one can configure the
priority limit for users sending jobs to the print service with the
command,

        /usr/sbin/lpusers -q priority_level -u username

Wonder if there is such a facility or sth similar in Linux.

We can set the priority of a job in Windows, but I wonder if the priority
level configured in Windows will be effective when the job is sent to the
Samba server, which, in turn, hand over the print job to LPRng.

Many thanks
Daniel

The Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation Limited
whose registered address is 1 Queen's Road Central, Hong Kong

for any errors or omissions.