[Samba] announce as ... whatif? Faking Samba to be a W2k machine?

Alex itzaberhad at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 30 04:13:26 GMT 2003

Hi,

   Quick q.  Has anyone tried this, and what's the success/failure of
this?  Changing param/loadparm.c :
/* Types of machine we can announce as. */
#define ANNOUNCE_AS_NT_SERVER 1
#define ANNOUNCE_AS_WIN95 2
#define ANNOUNCE_AS_WFW 3
#define ANNOUNCE_AS_NT_WORKSTATION 4

static const struct enum_list enum_announce_as[] = {
         {ANNOUNCE_AS_NT_SERVER, "NT"},
         {ANNOUNCE_AS_NT_SERVER, "NT Server"},
         {ANNOUNCE_AS_NT_WORKSTATION, "NT Workstation"},
         {ANNOUNCE_AS_WIN95, "win95"},
         {ANNOUNCE_AS_WFW, "WfW"},
         {-1, NULL}
};

And adding Windows 2000 Server or Windows 2003 Server in there?  BTW:
What WOULD be the correct string for that?  I'm curious. :-)

Alex