[Samba] Samba 3.0 and Windows Files

Laurent Thiers lthiers at datadirectnet.com
Mon Sep 29 13:47:37 GMT 2003

Hello,

I would like to propose a Linux/Samba Filer for people operating a Windows
PDC + a bunch of W2K and Linux clients so far.

Request is create a new NAS storage pool under Linux/Samba 3.0 and to be
able to keep existing NTFS file security settings (per user).

That means that people would progressively move their data to the Linux /
Samba NAS, these data would be migrated to tape, but we need to maintain the
current NTFS settings of the files.

Linux / Samba NAS would use existing Active Directory data for user
registration.

Is this possible with Samba ?
How to format the NAS to do so ? (EXT3 & XFS would "wipe out" current NTFS
file settings ?)

Many thanks,
Laurent Thiers