[Samba] Per-directory "create mask"?

Jonathan Woithe jwoithe at physics.adelaide.edu.au
Thu Sep 25 23:20:12 GMT 2003

> Jonathan Woithe wrote:
> > What I need is a way to enable a group-writeable file creation mask for
> > files created in a single directory of the share, or, more generally, a way
> > to specify "create mask" or "force create mode" for specific subdirectories
> > of a share (not for the entire share).
> Have you looked at 'inherit permissionms' ?

Yes - I accidently omitted that from my list of alternatives.
Unfortunately, like "create mask" this acts on a per-share basis which is
not what I need.  To use this I would have to go through all the other
directories on this share and ensure that inherited permissions will
continue to provide the access controls I've previously set up.  It could
certainly be done and is another option - it's just a little tedious
(although it's probably less tedious than any of the other options).

In the absence of any additional ideas others have, "inherit permissionms"
will probably be the route I'll be taking.  I guess it would be nice if some
of these permission/ownership things could be optionally specified on a
per-subdirectory basis, but I can also understand why this might be trickier
than it looks.

Thanks and regards
  jonathan
--