[Samba] Master Browser Error

Stefan G. Weichinger monitor at oops.co.at
Thu Sep 25 21:06:31 GMT 2003

Hi, Michal Trzaskowski (Daimonion),

am Donnerstag, 25. September 2003 um 22:32 schrieben Sie:

MTD>     Lately I faild to run my samba server as master browser
MTD> for my local network (it was working fine but i faild to run it
MTD> once more after my disk format). My network is small home network
MTD> with few PC on Win98 an WinXp. I use Debian 2.4 as my network
MTD> serwer (internet connection, DHCP etc..)
MTD>     After last download of samba my network become
MTD> unbrowsable. In log.nmbd file i found error:

MTD> [2003/09/25 22:31:19, 0] nmbd/nmbd.c:main(783)
MTD>   Netbios nameserver version 2.2.3a-12.3 for Debian started.
MTD>   Copyright Andrew Tridgell and the Samba Team 1994-2002

MTD> 2003/09/25 22:31:34, 0]
MTD> nmbd/nmbd_become_lmb.c:become_local_master_browser(544)
MTD>  become_local_master_browser: Error - cannot find server  in workgroup LOCALNET

What are your smb.conf-settings, especially the options:

local master
preferred master
os level
domain master

Did you check for configuring the right smb.conf and its directory?
Maybe your new Samba-config points to a different config-dir.
Did you use the "--with-configdir" option?

--
best regards,
Stefan G. Weichinger
mailto:monitor at oops.co.at