[Samba] samba + MacOS X

Philip Edelbrock phil at edgedesign.us
Wed Sep 24 23:20:38 GMT 2003

Sorry, let me back up a little: I may have not answered your original
question.

The file sizes shown in OS-X are guessed 'physical' sizes.  If you 'get
info' (command-i) on a file, it will show you the actual file size in
parentheses.  The size in parentheses is what counts for most uses (like
copying or CD burning).  It looks like OS-X (or is this Samba?) is using
the wrong block size (256k?) to calculate the total physical file size.

Here's a sample file I have on my server (remember that Mac's actually
have two seperate files on the server for both data and resource forks):

[root at drtheopolis raid]# stat adobejs.txt
  File: "adobejs.txt"
  Size: 364             Blocks: 8          IO Block: 4096   Regular File
Device: 901h/2305d      Inode: 60          Links: 1
Access: (0666/-rw-rw-rw-)  Uid: (  501/    edge)   Gid: (  501/    edge)
Access: Wed Jul  2 11:58:33 2003
Modify: Wed Jul  2 11:58:33 2003
Change: Mon Sep 22 16:29:25 2003

[root at drtheopolis raid]# stat ._adobejs.txt
  File: "._adobejs.txt"
  Size: 1536            Blocks: 8          IO Block: 4096   Regular File
Device: 901h/2305d      Inode: 61          Links: 1
Access: (0666/-rw-rw-rw-)  Uid: (  501/    edge)   Gid: (  501/    edge)
Access: Wed Sep 24 15:35:14 2003
Modify: Mon Sep 22 16:29:25 2003
Change: Mon Sep 22 16:29:25 2003

It seems like it should say that it takes up 8K in harddrive space and
not 1MB.  Does anyone know where this conversion get mangled?

In any case, when I copy this file to the Mac, it suddenly 'shrinks' to
the appropriate physical size of 8k (presumably because my local HD also
has block sizes of 4K).

Regarding your other question, Baltra is a patch for Netatalk which
makes Netatalk store/access files in an OS-X style (vs. the proprietary
way Netatalk does).  It does UTF8 encoding using the 'iconv' library (I
think Samba uses the same lib).  That way the file names actually look
the same for everyone (including Windows folks) and the resource forks
are preserved regardless of whether you use SMB or AFP (or NFS for that
matter).  You can get more info on it here:

http://www.baltra.org

It's been 'beta' for a long time because there haven't been many changes
or complaints.  From my experience, it's been stable, but it's always a
use-at-your-own-risk thing.

Phil