[Samba] Re: Windows XP Home Edition

shrek-m at gmx.de shrek-m at gmx.de
Wed Sep 24 07:43:29 GMT 2003

Eric Treu wrote:
> I am using Samba 2.2.3a-12.3 on a Debian server.
>
> All the clients but one are XP home edition.
>
> I have a share on the server which all workstations are able to see,
> view, write, edit, etc.
>
> After 15 minutes of inactivity the share obtains a red X over the share
> icon.  I am able to reactivate the share by clicking on the red x with
> no problems.
>
> I understand that Microsoft, in their wisdom, has a share timeout after
> 15 minutes of inactivity.
>
> This might not seem like a problem, but the mortgage software will
> default to the local hard drive if it cannot find the share; therefore,
> writing data to the hard drive and not to the shared data drive.
>
> Can anybody help me.  I have come to the conclusion that the one XP
> Professional box that I have does not have this problem.  I don't want
> to upgrade, buy, or install XP Professional on all the boxes.

at first i thaught that this is a problem with the nic, wire, switch, ...

not logical and not tested, but you can try this

c:\ net config server
here you will see  autodisconnect:15 minutes
you can change it to eg. 120 minutes
c:\ net config server /autodisconnect:120

c:\ net config workstation
??

you can serch the windows knowledge-base for further info

--
shrek-m