[Samba] trying to print from windows 98 to mac usb printer using samba

Eric Winger ewinger at charter.net
Wed Sep 24 04:10:07 GMT 2003

Hello,

this is my first post to this list, so if there is another list which
might be better, I would appreciate a link.

I am trying to print to my wife's printer which is hooked via usb to her
powerbook with Mac OS 10.2.

Having played with samba for quite awhile I can now view and write to
her mac from my windows pc. But I still cannot print.

I have enabled all print sharing options in the user account on her
computer. I believe I have set up the printer connection on my 98 box
correctly. When I print from 98, I can see the spool file in my queue
and the file disappears as if it printed, but there is no printer. It
was suggested I use apple laser writer drivers on 98 which I did. I
changed the Edit
/System/Library/StartupItems/Samba/StartupParameters.plist to insert

   Uses     = ("Printing","Super Server");

I believe that the mac is using cups and the 98 box correctly shows both printers listed in her /etc/printcaps file.
Its called S9000 on her box and that's the name it shows up on as mine

I can print from her mac directly to the printer.

I'm pretty flumoxed and could use some advice.

Eric

/etc/smb.conf on the mac

[global]
  client code page = 437