[Samba] Windows XP Home Edition

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Tue Sep 23 22:04:44 GMT 2003

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003, Eric Treu wrote:

> I am using Samba 2.2.3a-12.3 on a Debian server.
>
> All the clients but one are XP home edition.

XP Home is not able to partake in Domain security. It can function only as
a Workgroup member.

> I have a share on the server which all workstations are able to see,
> view, write, edit, etc.
>
> After 15 minutes of inactivity the share obtains a red X over the share
> icon.  I am able to reactivate the share by clicking on the red x with
> no problems.

This happens with workgroup clients but not with XP Professional that is a
Domain security context member.

> I understand that Microsoft, in their wisdom, has a share timeout after
> 15 minutes of inactivity.

Yes. Correct.

> This might not seem like a problem, but the mortgage software will
> default to the local hard drive if it cannot find the share; therefore,
> writing data to the hard drive and not to the shared data drive.

MS want you to buy XP PRo to solve that problem.

> Can anybody help me.  I have come to the conclusion that the one XP
> Professional box that I have does not have this problem.  I don't want
> to upgrade, buy, or install XP Professional on all the boxes.

Sorry. MS have you snookered.

> HELP.

You said you have XP Home, help is not sufficient for that. :)))

- John T.
--
John H Terpstra
Email: jht at samba.org