[Samba] Samba not announcing the correct IP address to a Windows NT Wins server

Wieprecht, Karen M. Karen.Wieprecht at jhuapl.edu
Mon Sep 22 18:09:41 GMT 2003

We have two systems with dual NICs that run samba 2.2.5 with winbind,  and
neither of them is announcing the system's primary IP address correctly to
the WINS server.  The systems show up in the wins database with the
secondary IP address (which is the private network we use for the
heartbeat/meta data on our CXFS cluster).  We worked around it by entering
the correct IP addresses for these systems as static IP entries in the WINS
server's database,  but it would be nice to know how we could get those
systems to automatically announce themselves correctly.

The nsswitch.conf file for these machines uses files first (local host
table) then dns
The primary IP addresses for these systems is in the local host table as are
the hostnames for the 2nd NICs (i.e. samiam .vs. private-samiam)

I think the samba "name resolve order" setting of "host wins bcast"  means
that I use the UNIX nameservice lookup first (as defined by nsswitch.conf),
then ask the wins server,  then broadcast for the information.  I've told
samba who the wins server is,   but I don't have a "remote announce"
parameter.  Is this what I'm missing or do I need to make my "netbios name =
SAMIAM" be lower case (or is there something else I need to do to get these
systems to announce themselves correctly to the WINS server?)

	Thanks,

		Karen Wieprecht

[global]
	workgroup = OURNTDOMAINNAME
	netbios name = SAMIAM
	server string = samiam
	security = DOMAIN
	encrypt passwords = Yes
	password server = *
	passwd program = /usr/bin/yppasswd
	log level = 2
	log file = /usr/samba/log.%m
	max log size = 500
	name resolve order = host wins bcast
	keepalive = 30
	os level = 0
	preferred master = False
	local master = No
	domain master = False
	dns proxy = No
	wins server = xx.xx.11.25 xx.xx.11.33
	lock dir = /usr/samba/locks
	valid chars = - _
	winbind uid = 10000-20000
	winbind gid = 10000-20000
	template homedir = /netshare/users/samba/%U
	winbind separator = _
	winbind cache time = 60
	username map = /usr/samba/lib/username.map
	guest ok = no
	map to guest = never
	hosts allow = xx.xx.11. xx.xx.12. xx.xx.17.
	veto files = /*.eml/*.nws/riche20.dll/*.{*}/
      oplocks = No
      level2 oplocks = No
	strict locking = Yes