[Samba] Samba 3 PDC using LDAP as backend, what next ?

gary ng garyng2000 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 22 06:15:42 GMT 2003

Hi,

I have successfully setup a Samba PDC using a local
LAP as the password backend. After I have added the
first user 'testing' through pdbedit, some entries is
added to the LDAP server too.

However, when I tried to execute the 'net'
commands(any) or smbmount or testing out the
winbind(pam), all I get is error. So I just don't know
how to proceed from here.

Do I have to join this server to the domain(even it is
already the PDC) ?

My past experience with NT tells me that there are a
number of default entries in SAM when I have setup NT
as the PDC, do I have to recreate them in samba and if
I do, how ?

Below is the result of some usual commands that I can
at least run without any error, just in case it gives
a clue where I am now.

#testparm
Processing section "[homes]"
Processing section "[netlogon]"
Processing section "[printers]"
Processing section "[print$]"
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_DOMAIN_PDC
# Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = EXAMPLE
        server string = %h server (Samba %v)
        obey pam restrictions = Yes
        passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://localhost,
guest
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
        passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:*
%n\n *Retype\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n .
        syslog = 0
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 1000
        domain logons = Yes
        os level = 65
        preferred master = Yes
        domain master = Yes
        dns proxy = No
        ldap suffix = dc=example,dc=org
        ldap machine suffix =
ou=Group,dc=example,dc=org
        ldap user suffix = ou=People,dc=example,dc=org
        ldap group suffix = dc=example,dc=org
        ldap idmap suffix =
sambaDomain=example,dc=example,dc=org
        ldap admin dn = cn=admin,dc=example,dc=org
        ldap ssl = no
        ldap trust ids = Yes
        panic action = /usr/share/samba/panic-action
%d
        idmap backend = ldap:ldap://localhost
        idmap uid = 10000-20000
        idmap gid = 10000-20000