[Samba] Q: Share Definitions, how to make a 'truely public' area

J. Nyhuis cabal at u.washington.edu
Sat Sep 20 00:21:14 GMT 2003

	Greetings,

	I am trying to set up a "Public" share that visitors who do not
have accounts in our system have ro access to, while staff members
(who do have accounts) have rw access.
	Our department has visitors who plug laptops into our network who
will only be there once, and want to copy some of our software.  However,
with the following share definition, staff have rw access, but visitors
can't even browse.

My share definition is as follows:

[public]
        comment = Filespace Everyone can Access
        path = /shares/Public/
        browseable = yes
        public = yes
        read only = yes
        write list = @staff # read only, except for people in the "staff" group

What am I missing?  Do I need a "guest" account at the unix level or
something?  (or would that be "Guest").

	Thanks in advance for the advice.
John H. Nyhuis
systems administration