[Samba] Using Samba 2.2.7.a and PlainText Auth

Greg Folkert greg at gregfolkert.net
Thu Sep 18 20:20:19 GMT 2003

Server ==  samba-2.2.7-3.7.2 Plaintext Auth daemon mode, RedHat 7.2 all
errata applied, 2.4.20-(stock errata latest)

Clients == WindowsXP (forced to use plaintext auth) all patched up.

Software == Multitude of lists sorting and management using the server
as it's store for data.

Trouble == Every once in a while after daemon uptime of a month so,
files written to the network drives will sometimes not be shown or even
available. But shell into the Linux machine ... the files are there. All
users have experienced this problem with Windows XP only. This doesn't
affect Win9x or ME users. I have zero Windows2K machines so I do not
know if it affects them.

Workaround == Stop and start the samba daemons. Works every time. I
discovered this when I tried to restore and the files were there. I
thought something was screwy. Restarted the daemons all was well.

I'd switch inetd mode but have had trouble with the software not liking
that, even though it is supposed to be transparent. Also the plaintext
password is due to some really old Windows95 machines that will not work
with any kind of hashed authentication (I know... I know... not my
choice. but hey gimme a break!)

I have cannot just jump to v3 if that is the fix... but I'd like to know
if anyone else has seen anything like this, have you resoled it. Or is
this a NEW one? It has only started happening since we added the
WindowsXP machines and only happens to them.

Hope this is clear enough.

greg, greg at gregfolkert.net

Dear David, Never was a man so badly meant to wear corrective glasses.