[Samba] Question about new Samba 3 rc4 and BDC

Gémes Géza geza at kzsdabas.sulinet.hu
Wed Sep 17 20:55:29 GMT 2003

Gabriel Matthews írta:

>I have looked a bit through some of the archives for this list, and I have
>caught different ideas on this matter.. I've also read through the
>HOWTOs on how to do this stuff, but I haven't received the same results
>that I was expecting, so I need someone to help me out a bit, give me a
>definite YES or NO and if YES, how?
>
>I have the latest release candidate of samba 3 installed on redhat-9.  I
>want to make it a BDC with my existing NT 4 domain in a remote office on
>its own subnet.  I also want to use Winbind to help keep from having to
>have local accounts on the machines, so anybody can do what they want to
>on any server.  I have no LDAP server to play with either,
>
>So, the question is:  Can Samba 3 function as a BDC in an NT4 domain, with
>an NT4 server as PDC?  If it is possible, what are the tricks to getting
>the samba server to join the domain as a BDC and communicate properly with
>the PDC?   If it is NOT possible, does it then become necessary to make
>the PDC of the domain a samba machine, and have all the NT machines
>function as BDCs?
>
>I appreciate any help that you can give me with this.. I know there has to
>be tons of people asking this same question over and over again, but again
>I do appreciate any help.. Thanks!
>
>Gabriel Matthews
>Network Support
>Cinergy Communications
>
>"No.  I am your father."
>  -Darth Vader, leader, devoted parent,
>     and friend to all.

NO!
Samba is able to be a PDC, or a BDC to another Samba, at least this is
written in docs. The reason is, that NT4 domain controlers keep domain
users, groups, etc in a special part (SAM) of their registry. About the
possibility of  using winbind on the Samba BDC, it sounds interesting,
but I don't know if winbind has a cacheing functionality, needed, if you
realy want a true backup sollution.

Good Luck!

Geza Gemes