[Samba] In addition to: Can not register W2K computer (WXP and W98 without problems)

Ricardo Martinezgarza ricardo at nexxis.com.mx
Tue Sep 16 20:52:10 GMT 2003

Forgot to tell you I'm using Samba 2.2.8a

Regards

_________________________
Ricardo Martinezgarza F.

ORIGINAL MESAGE:

I can NOT have a W2KPro computer to reconnect to a RH9 Samba PDC server
domain after initial "registration". (I don't have any problems with WXPPro)

NetBios name of the W2KPro computer: PRUEBA
RH9 PDC Samba domain name: SAMBA

When "registering" the W2KPro computer to the domain for the first time,
everything seems to work fine (even though it takes longer than usual to get
the "Welcome to domain Samba" window). The entries in /etc/passwd,
/etc/shadow and /etc/samba/smbpasswd get created:

prueba$:x:504:100::/dev/null:/bin/false (/etc/passwd)
prueba$:!!:12311:0:99999:7:::  (/etc/shadow)
prueba$:504:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
y:[W         ]:LCT-3F6761AE: (/etc/samba/smbpasswd)

The Samba log (prueba.log) for the W2K computer does not report any
problems.

After reboot, after typing a valid domain user and password, I get the error
message "The system can not initiate a session because either there is no
account for this computer in the primary domain or the password for this
account is incorrect"

To add to my perplexity, if I log into the W2KPro computer using a
local(windows) username/password identical to a valid samba account I can
browse through the domain via the windows Network Neighborhood without
having to supply any further username or password. I can even browse through
the Samba "home" directory (linux box) of such username/password.

I´m using the "add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g 100 -s
/bin/false -M %u" on-the-fly method in smb.conf (which, by the way, has been
working just fine for WXPPro computers)

I've also tried manual creation of the /etc/passwd and /etc/samba/smbpasswd
entries with the same results

I've even tried modifying the W2KPro registry parameters in
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE|SYSTEM|CurrentControlSet|Service|Netlogon|Parameters] as
I did for WXPPro, no luck either.

Further yet, I´ve tried to "sniffer-debug" the unsuccessful re-registration
of the W2KPro box vs. a successful re-registration of a WXPPro box and can
not find what the problem is.

Any ideas why this is happening and what else could/should I do/try ????

Thanks gals and guys !!!!