[Samba] How does Samba delete files ?

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Tue Sep 16 20:07:31 GMT 2003

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003, Bruno Tobias Stella wrote:

> John H Terpstra <jht at samba.org> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 15 Sep 2003, Bruno Tobias Stella wrote:
> >
> > > Hi !
> > >
> > >   I'd like to know how does Samba delete files, because I need do
> > > something to instead Samba removes files, it moves the deleted
> > > files  to another directory, like a Netware Salvage File or a
> > > Windows Trash Can.
> >
> > Oh, you mean like the recycle.so module for samba does.
> > Fancy that, it's there already!
>
>  Yes! It's fantastic ! Congratulations !
>

> > Refer to the Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf available from:
> >
> > http://us1.samba.org/samba/devel/docs/Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf
> >
> > See chapter 20.
> >
> > If this does not answer your needs, please let me know
> > in time before Friday so I can fix the documentation
> > before Samba-3.0.0 ships and before the HOWTO goes to
> > the publisher.
>
>  Ok, I read the documentation, but I have some problems:
>
> 1) I use Samba-2.2.5 and Samba-2.2.8a, and I didn't get configure
> VFS in them.

Older implementation. You need to refer to the documentation that is in
the old source code under the ~samba/examples/VFS directory for
information about how to configure them.

> 2) But before, I think that I don't know configure Samba to use
> VFS. Is necessary make some diferent configuration ? I didn't find
> something like "--with-vfs" in ./configure .

No. You had to build the modules separately - they had not yet been
integrated into the main code base.

> 3) And if only in Samba-3 this recycle will be available, is there
> an estimate about when Samba-3 will be a production version?

Less than 1 week. Samba-3.0.0rc4 is essentiall release code.

- John T.

--
John H Terpstra
Email: jht at samba.org