[Samba] Redhat as Samba Client

Russell Anam anam at siriusbroadband.com
Tue Sep 16 16:50:47 GMT 2003

Hello,

We have a Redhat 7.2 running as a Samba PDC for a long
time without any problem. All the client are Windows 2000
and WindowsXP. But now we have introduced Linux as
workstations and I want to use the same setting for
authenticating the Linux users (basically both systems
will use the same settign and the same Samba server). We
are using Redhat 9 as the workstations. There is a tab for
authentication in the control center and I chose SMB and
provided the domain and server name. But it does not work.
The Linux systems are not authenticating from the Samba
server.

So how can I set up Redhat 9 to use the Samba server as
the authentication server. (We also have a NIS
implementation but I am reluctant to use it).

One thing I came to notice after fiddling with the system
is that if a user has a local account that username is
authenticated from the Samba server and the login works
(both using the local account password and the samba
server password for that username).

Thanks in advance.

-Russell.