[Samba] need of a user root in ldap ?

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Tue Sep 16 16:22:11 GMT 2003

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003, jean-marc pouchoulon wrote:

> >So, my question is: why do I have to create a posix user "root" since
> my
> >system (/etc/passwd) already has one root ? I though just creating the
> >samba user would be enough...
>

> 	samba reads backend nor /etc/passwd,  isn't it ? So root can be
> in /etc/passwd and he must be in a backend.

J-M,

root is always in /etc/passwd. :)

In passdb backend, the account can be called root or Administrator.
If root is not called Administrator, then it is good policy to add in
smb.conf [globals]:

	username map = /etc/samba/smbusers

Then in /etc/samba/smbusers:

	root = Administrator

This effectively means that Windows administration can use the
Administrator account, while it is in fact 'root'.

I hope this helps.

- Jean-Henri.
--
John H Terpstra