[Samba] Is Samba ready for it?

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Tue Sep 16 14:24:43 GMT 2003

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003, Fernando Ribeiro wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am migrating from WinNT 4 to Samba 3 beta3 in a production
> environment.
> It would be nice to have some advice, because I don't know if Samba is
> ready for assuming this ;-)

Samba has not been written to act as a psychiatrist - it does not give
advice. :-))))

> I never heard about any one that had something like this.
> This is kind of a big network so it will be 1 PDC (Samba) , 4 BDC's
> (Samba) and 2 File Servers (w2k). I will have a minimum of 800 machines
> and 2000 users logging on to Samba.

So long as you have enough memory and CPU power there should be no
problem with this number of users. Samba is used in much larger sites.

> There are more users because of Internet Authentication.
> I have Samba 3 beta3 working with NIS and rsync synchronization of
> smbpasswd, no db backend. Is this a problem?

It's not a problem for me, but it may be for you! NIS is not secure, so I
would not use it.

> And I can't find a solution for using account policy to block the user
> account after bad logins, pdbedit doesn't seem to work.

Did you read the Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf that ships with Samba-3?

You need to read the chapters on Domain Control, Domain Membership,
Advanced Management. Short answer is: Use the NT4 Domain User Manager.
Instructions for how to obtain this are in the HOWTO.

- John T.

> If more information is needed just ask me.
>
> Any thoughts will be welcome.
>
> Thanks in advance for advices!

> --
> Fernando Henrique Ribeiro da Silva