[Samba] xp clients + home directories are SLOOOW

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Tue Sep 16 04:13:23 GMT 2003

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003, Miles Bintz wrote:

> I'm also experiencing this problem.
>
> I'm running Samba version 2.2.7 with the "security rollup fix" (redhat 8
> update) on kernel 2.4.20.  The load average on this machine is nil.  These
> machines are all running over 100 mb (5 computers on a linksys switch).
>
> I've disabled roaming profiles on WinXP in an attempt to correct the problem
> but it didn't seem to help.  Based on the "network performance" monitor in
> XP, no data is being exchanged during the lag periods.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Ok everybody, now repeart after me: "I will install WINS!"

Repeat until you are overcome by the urge to do it. When it is done, all
pain will go away.

Then repeat after me again: "Ah, nice!"
Repeat often to make sure we do not forget past pain!

Information about WINS may be found in the Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf that
may be obtained from:

http://us1.samba.org/samba/devel/docs/Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf

Please refer to chapter 10.

The bottom line is that if NetBIOS names can not be resolved to IP
addresses correctly  you will see long delays as reported here.

Note: If you are not running NetBIOS over TCP/IP (ie: Win 2Kx/XP and
samba-3 all with NetBIOS disabled), then you really need DNS with the MS
CIFS extensions installed. See HOWTO page 90, Section 10.3.3.

PS: Chapter 10 applies equally to Samba-2.x as it does to Samba-3.

- John T.
--
John H Terpstra
Email: jht at samba.org