[Samba] How does Samba delete files ?

Jeff Squyres jsquyres at osl.iu.edu
Tue Sep 16 01:09:00 GMT 2003

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003, John H Terpstra wrote:

> Oh, you mean like the recycle.so module for samba does. Fancy that, it's
> there already!
>
> Refer to the Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf available from:
>
> http://us1.samba.org/samba/devel/docs/Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf
>
> See chapter 20.
>
> If this does not answer your needs, please let me know in time before
> Friday so I can fix the documentation before Samba-3.0.0 ships and
> before the HOWTO goes to the publisher.

If you could add in there how users can recover deleted files, I'd really
appreciate it.

Specifically, I enabled the recycle VFS module and it seems to work
properly (deleted files get moved into the subdirectory that I specified
in recycle:repository), but no "recycle bin" icon shows up in Windows
Explorer, so there's no way for users to actually restore files.

Please see my [much more detailed] post from earlier today:

   http://lists.samba.org/pipermail/samba/2003-September/000395.html

Thanks!

--
{+} Jeff Squyres
{+} jsquyres at osl.iu.edu
{+} Research Associate, Open Systems Lab, Indiana University
{+} http://www.osl.iu.edu/