[Samba] Re: smbclient problem

Christopher Odenbach odenbach at hni.upb.de
Mon Sep 15 15:46:50 GMT 2003

Hi,

> Why am I not getting the smb:\> prompt after I run the
> smbclient? Look at the following output.  Thanks.
>

> [root at RedHat samba]$ smbclient -U jack -L localhost
> added interface ip=10.10.6.31 bcast=10.10.255.255
> nmask=255.255.0.0
> Password:
> Domain=[METRAN] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 2.2.8a]
>
>         Sharename      Type      Comment
>         ---------      ----      -------
>         test           Disk      For testing only,
[...]

Because you are using smbclient the wrong way.

From the smbclient man page:

     -L   This option allows you to look  at  what  services  are
          available  on a server. You use it as smbclient -L host
          and a list should appear. The -I option may  be  useful
          if  your NetBIOS names don't match your TCP/IP DNS host
          names or if you are trying to reach a host  on  another
          network.

If you want to connect to a service, just use the UNC path:

[root at RedHat samba]$ smbclient //jack/test -U <whateveruseryouare>

Christopher

    Dipl.-Ing. Christopher Odenbach
    HNI Rechnerbetrieb
    odenbach at uni-paderborn.de