[Samba] Re: delete file problem with samba

Joseph Yuen kcyuen at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 15 14:13:36 GMT 2003

If this is an artifact of the way Windows/UNIX differ in file deletion, then
many people would have this problem and the samba team should have noticed
that already.

By the way, my samba server is being used by a group of people, I can't tell
everybody to ignore it for now. This error keeps creating confusion among
the
users, can any expert here suggest some helpful way to solve this?

"Tom Dickson" <bombcar at bombcar.com> wrote in message
news:3F652EEC.6090503 at bombcar.com...

> This may be an artifact of the way Windows/UNIX differ in file deletion.
> In UNIX, you can delete a file that is open, and the file will remain
> readable by the process, but the moment that process closes the file, it
> is deleted. Deleting the directory (which for UNIX is a special file)
> from the left hand pane may leave an open file handle for it (the right
> hand pane is looking at it, too). If it works, I'd just ignore it for now.
>
> Hope this makes some sense, as I am getting tired....
>
> - -Tom
>
> Joseph Yuen wrote:
> | I am running samba 2.2.8a on FreeBSD 4.8. I installed that from the
> FreeBSD
> | port tree.
> |
> | In IE, when I try to delete a directory which contains subdirectories
> in it,
> | it will pop up a Windows dialog saying that,
> |
> | Cannot remove folder foldername: Cannot find the specified file.
> | Make sure you specify the correct path and file name.
> |
> | However, if you click on the Okay button on that Windows error dialog
and
> | refresh the IE,
> | you'll find that in fact the folder and the subfolders under it are all
> | removed.
> | On the FreeBSD, this is the error msg from samba,
> |
> | smbd/trans2.c: set_delete_on_close_over_all(2214)
> | set_delete_on_close_internal: failed to change delete on close flag
> for file
> | thefoldername
> |
> | Note that this *ONLY* happens when I try to delete the directory from
the
> | tree
> | on the left frame of IE.
> | If I try to delete the directory from the right side frame of IE, i.e.
the