[Samba] 3.0.0rc4 and recycle VFS module

Jeff Squyres jsquyres at osl.iu.edu
Mon Sep 15 11:43:50 GMT 2003

Greetings.

I'm a newbie Samba user; I spent the entire weekend reading the
HOWTO's and various other tutorials and docs from around the web.  So
if this is a naieve question, please don't hesitate the tell me to go
back and RTFM some more. :-)

I downloaded and compiled 3.0.0rc4 from source on a Mandrake 9.1
system (with all MDK updates installed) with the following configure
line:

    ./configure --with-pam --with-pam_smbpass --prefix=/usr/local

I uninstalled the MDK-provided Samba 2.2.x RPMs to ensure that there
would be no conflict / confusion.

In the HOWTO Collection for the CVS HEAD
(http://us2.samba.org/samba/devel/docs/html/Samba-HOWTO-Collection.html#id2920556),
it makes reference to the recycle VFS module, and it sounds like
something that my users would like.  So I followed the instructions
and added "vfs objects = recycle" in my smb.conf to the [homes]
service:

-----
[homes]
  comment = Home Directories
  browseable = no
  writable = yes
  only user = yes
  user = %S
  path = /home/data/samba/homes/%S
  vfs objects = recycle
  recycle:repository = .recycle
  recycle:keeptree = 1
  recycle:noversions = 1
-----

The module seems to load file (I can see messages to that effect in
the associated logfiles -- I have verbosity set at 2 while I'm
debugging), and when I delete a file from Windows Explorer, I can see
that it does move into the $share_root/.recycle/ directory on the
linux server.

But in Windows Explorer (from an XP Pro client), I do not see a
"recycle bin" icon in that share.  And therefore, there does not
appear to be a way to "undelete"/restore this file.  How do I get the
recycle bin icon to show for this share, like it does (for example)
with the local disks? (just to be sure, I checked the recycle bine
that is available for the local disk on the Windows client and my
deleted file is not listed there -- as one would expect :-).

Is there something else that I need to enable, or do I have something
silly in my smb.conf?

--
{+} Jeff Squyres
{+} jsquyres at osl.iu.edu
{+} Research Associate, Open Systems Lab, Indiana University
{+} http://www.osl.iu.edu/