[Samba] Windows XP Browsing Problems

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Sun Sep 14 02:56:39 GMT 2003

On Sun, 14 Sep 2003, Radio Gong 2000 GmbH & Co. KG [Technik] wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I upgraded first to samba rc 4 and now to the newest CVS Version, because
> all my Windows XP Professional Clients cannot browse the network neigborhood
> anymor. Also mapping is not possible.
>
> What have I done wrong???

Do you have "wins support = yes" in smb.conf?

Are your clients configured with the samba server IP address in the WINS
server address place in the TCP/IP settings?

> I have installed the Registry-Keys and all are domainmembers.
> Windows XP Home does work. Something to do with domain settings???

Have you read the Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf? Refer to page 55!
Can I say more plainly that XP Home does not support Domain membership?

>         security = user
>         domain logons = yes
>         os level = 64
>         domain master = yes
>         preferred master = yes
>         local master = yes
>         time server = yes
>
> # LOGON STUFF
>         logon script = logon.bat
>         logon drive =
>         logon home =
>         logon path =
>         template homedir =
>
> Ah, and I cannot remove the boxes from the domain via windows, because I
> don't see the button anymore in windows xp.

I do not understand what buttons you are referring to? Please explain. I'd
like to help you, but my crystal ball (guessing machine) is completely
worn out.

> Can you help???

I'm trying to. Back to you for more information.

- John T.

--
John H Terpstra
Email: jht at samba.org