[Samba] RC 4 release - Unicode works

david david at bgumail.bgu.ac.il
Sat Sep 13 09:45:01 GMT 2003

Hi Samba,

Yes, it works ! First time the (Unicode) Hebrew setup is fine.

I would recommend others with non-English charactersets to
test the UNICODE enivronment.

The idea is that Unix/Linux and XP (not Windows 98..) environment
use the same language encoding.

We use Linux Redhat 9, make sure the Samba global variables include

- unixcharset utf-8
- display charset locale

Now when we store files on the server, the "unicode-ready" applications
may display the Windows characterset.

For example in the "PuTTY" communications software
you can change the char set under "change settings"
"windows" translation" "received char set" to UTF-8.

This change solves a lot of problems for us, for example finding the files
in
our backup software. (Till now Hebrew filenames would show up as gibberish.)
Unfortunately not all linux applications seem to support unicode yet.

Thanks  Jerry and the great Samba team !

David de Leeuw
Head, Medical Computing Unit
Ben Gurion University of the negev

"Gerald (Jerry) Carter" <jerry at samba.org> wrote in message
news:Pine.LNX.4.44.0309130039300.15310-100000 at queso.plainjoe.org...

> The Samba Team is proud to announce the availability of the
> fourth release candidate of the Samba 3.0.0 code base.  A release
> candidate implies that the code is very close to a final release,
> but remember that this is still a non-production snapshot intended
> for testing purposes.  Use it at your own risk.
>
> The main issue addressed in this release relates to
> multibyte character sets.

  .org/mailman/listinfo/samba