[Samba] Configuration-Files

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Thu Sep 11 17:31:31 GMT 2003

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003, Marc Schoechlin wrote:

MArc,

Have you read the Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf that ships with Samba-3?
It has a chapter called "File, Directory and Share Access Controls".

IF there are problems with lack of clarity or inadequacy of information
please tell me so I can fix this before Samba-3 ships.

> Hi !
>
> I currently trying out samba-3.0.0rc3 - and i would like to test the following.
>
> I would like to try out the following:
>
> * SAMBA-PDC with ACL-Support
>
>   I have a debian-box with xfs-support.
>
>   Is it possible to modify ACLs of directories and files from a win2k-workstation ?

Yes, if you have administrative rights.

> * SAMBA_PDC with LDAP-Support

Yes!

> * Samba-PPC with Cups-Support

Yes!

>   Where can i get a tutorial for this ?

CUPS is very well documented in the Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf. If there
is a p[roblem with this documentation please let me know. I want to fix
this before Samba-3 ships.

>   Where can I get a very complete config-file ?

How long is a piece of string Marc? What would you like it to do?

The Samba-HOWTO-Collection is being published by Prentice Hall as a book.
It will be on the bookshelves by late October. It will have a detailed
chapter called "Fast Start: Cure for the Impatient" that has losts of
fully documented worked examples for all sorts of server configurations.
This chapter will be made open source 4 months after the book ships. It
will then be added to the CVS code tree and will eventually appear in the
Samba-3 packages.

>   I think it would be a good idea to add some sample config-files for this to the samba-distribution.

Yes. I have spent over 5 months working on this, that's how the HOWTO got
to where it is. Is it good enough yet?

- John T.
--
John H Terpstra