[Samba] Guest access

SerpentMage (Christian Gross) mailing at devspace.com
Thu Sep 11 14:06:09 GMT 2003

I have been trying to get guest access to a share.

My smb.conf is as follows...

[global]
        workgroup = DEVSPACE
        encrypt passwords = yes

[test]
        comment = my first share
        path = /home/temp
        read only = no
        guest ok = yes
        browseable = yes
        public = yes
        guest account = nobody

Then on one windows station I execute net view pluto and it works
because the user that does the net view has been added to the smb.conf file.

Then on another windows station I execute net view pluto and I get
System error 5 has occured Access is denied because the user that is
accessing the server is not known as a user on the network.  The user
nobody has been added to the smb.conf file.  If I attempt to connect to
the network share directly using net use x: \\pluto\test I get an error
because it asks me for a user.

I looked at the documentation and have tweaked all the combinations of
the setting guest ok to yes and no and to setting of public to yes and
no.  Nothing seems to let the unknown user onto the machine.  Both
Windows boxes are running W2K.

Thanks

Christian Gross