[Samba] Re: Accessing Samba Shares with AD usernames

Lars Wiberg lw at c.dk
Thu Sep 11 08:22:30 GMT 2003

To follow up on this, I have been studying the documentation more
intensively yesterday evening, and have concluded that the current release
of Samba cannot do what I am trying to achieve.

What I forgot to mention yesterday, was that there is to be no unix accounts
on the Samba server, meaning the only user administration involved is from
the Active Directory (AD), but after doing a more thorough studying of the
documentation, this paragraph came up:

"In the course of development of Samba-3, a number of requests were received
to provide the ability to migrate MS Windows NT4 SAM accounts to Samba-3
without the need to provide matching UNIX/Linux accounts. We called this the
Non UNIX Accounts (NUA) capability. The intent was that an administrator
could decide to use the tdbsam backend and by simply specifying passdb
backend = tdbsam_nua this would allow Samba-3 to implement a solution that
did not use UNIX accounts per se. Late in the development cycle, the team
doing this work hit upon some obstacles that prevents this solution from
being used. Given the delays with Samba-3 release a decision was made to NOT
deliver this functionality until a better method of recognising NT Group
SIDs from NT User SIDs could be found. This feature may thus return during
the life cycle for the Samba-3 series."

If I understand that paragraph correctly, it is currently not possible to
authenticate users on a Samba server solely from an Active Directory. The
only possible way is to create unix accounts on the Samba server - which
means more user administration.

Thank you all, for your input.

Can anybody from the Samba team tell me how far into the horizon I have to
look for this feature? From the documentation, it seems to me that a lot of
work has gone into this already.

--
Lars Wiberg

news:bjn10s$jp8$1 at sea.gmane.org...