[Samba] file locking on Samba

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Wed Sep 10 23:43:37 GMT 2003

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003, Arjen Van Drie (E-mail) wrote:

> DELAYED TRANSMISSION !!!
> --------
>
> Hi,
>
> many questions about locking have already been posted to the list, and
> since I could not find the answer to this one, allow me to pose mine.
>
> Samba version samba-2.2.7a-8.9.0 as a RedHat package
>
> All clients Windows 2k pro.
>
> The office is an architect, who uses Bentley MicroStation SE. They write
> their design files over the network to the Samba server. When user A
> opens a file he can write to it. When user B opens the same file from
> another stations as user A is working on it, user B can also write to it.
>
> Is there no way to lock the file for writing as soon as one user has
> opened it, so that others have only read access?

How would you do this in a pure MS Windows server environment? Do you have
a pure Windows environment solution for this?

If you can not propose how you might do this in a pure MS Windows world,
please can you propose a method that is known to the MS Windows client so
that you can achieve the desired result?

Samba mirrors the way the MS Windows Servers function. Samba aims to be
transparent compared with a Windows Server 200x machine. In other words
it aims to be no different.

- John T.
--
John H Terpstra